The Markle Foundation works to realize the potential of technology to achieve breakthroughs in addressing some of the nation’s most pressing issues. Markle challenges itself and diverse partners to deploy their varied expertise to identify solutions and achieve systemic change. Today as advanced technology and automation change the very nature of work, Markle’s priority is advancing solutions towards a skills-based labor market that will enable Americans to transition to the opportunities of the digital economy. Markle’s workforce initiatives include Skillful and the Rework America Task Force. They follow Markle’s success in creating the policy and technology architecture that has enabled improvements in healthcare, national security, and access to the Internet. For more information, visit markle.org, follow @MarkleFdn and @ReworkAmerica on Twitter, and read our book, America's Moment.
Skillful, a non-profit initiative of the Markle Foundation, is dedicated to enabling all Americans – particularly those without a four-year college degree – to secure good jobs in a changing economy. In partnership with Microsoft and others, Skillful is developing skills-based training and employment practices in collaboration with state governments, local employers, educators and workforce development organizations. Skillful and its partners are working to create a labor market in which skills are valued, and people can more easily access the information and education they need to keep pace with technology’s impact on work. Skillful currently operates in two states, Skillful Colorado and Skillful Indiana, bringing investment, training, tools and innovative methods to augment local workforce development efforts. It formed and facilitates the Skillful State Network, a collaboration among 20 state governors to accelerate the development and deployment of effective skills-based practices to transform their labor markets. Skillful is grateful for support provided by Walmart, and its partnerships with the states of Colorado and Indiana, Microsoft, Lumina, Purdue University and Purdue Extension. For more information, visit Skillful.org, follow @JoinSkillful on Twitter.
Now, after seeing the impact that can be made at the state level through our work in Colorado, Skillful has expanded on-the-ground operations to Indiana. Workforce development is a top priority shared by Indiana state leaders, employers, higher education institutions, and other stakeholders, making Indiana a strong and ready partner for Skillful. In the next decade, Indiana will need 1 million skilled workers to fill open jobs and support economic growth. Skillful Indiana will implement skills-based practices across the workforce ecosystem to meet this economic need and place more Hoosiers on better career pathways.
Skillful Indiana is looking for a dynamic and effective manager to join our team in helping job seekers and incumbent workers thrive in a dramatically changing economy, and make the labor market work for the 63% of Hoosiers who do not have a 4-year college degree.
- Do you believe that people should be considered qualified for jobs based on the skills they have and that hiring practices can be changed to open opportunities to a larger and more diverse talent pool?
- Do you share a passion for forging connections between organizations with similar goals, and breaking down silos in workforce development so that job seekers and incumbent workers receive the support and training they need?
- Do you thrive in nimble, creative, fast-paced start-up environments?
Then you should contact Skillful Indiana, which seeks a:
Manager of Career Coaching Initiatives
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Manager will be responsible for innovating, expanding and deepening community partnerships to align with Skillful Indiana’s long-term strategic objectives. The Manager will also lead the implementation of Skillful’s Coaching Initiative, which includes the Skillful Governor’s Coaching Corps and Skillful Coaching Community of Practice. The ideal candidate will bring strong program development and management experience and excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Given the entrepreneurial nature of Skillful, all team members execute a diverse portfolio of projects and contribute to the learning culture through execution of pilots, support of multiple initiatives, and collaboration across teams and partner organizations.
- Support strategy development for Skillful Indiana Governor’s Coaching Corps and Skillful Coaching Community of Practice.
- Lead execution of Skillful Indiana Governor’s Coaching Corps in collaboration with the State of Indiana and other key partners. Responsibilities include marketing and selection process, curriculum development, facilitating in-person retreats, and maintaining Corps momentum between in-person sessions.
- Lead development of a virtual Skillful Coaching Community of Practice, leveraging the model developed in Colorado, and facilitate associated webinars, peer exchanges, and meet-ups.
- Oversee consultants / contractors assisting with various aspects of the Skillful Governor’s Coaching Corps and Community of Practice (e.g., curriculum development, webinar delivery, monitoring and evaluation).
- Serve as project manager for collaborative projects in which Skillful is a partner/driver.
- Distill and share relevant information with appropriate team members (internal and external) in a timely fashion.
- Maintain relationships across the workforce and coaching communities to ensure program development and evolution represent stakeholder needs and have stakeholder buy-in.
- Maintain a visible and articulate presence at events throughout the community, cultivating goodwill and an understanding that Skillful Indiana is a collaborative organization that welcomes innovation and input from organizations.
- Foster relationships with career coaches who participate in the Skillful Indiana Governor’s Coaching Corps and Community of Practice, as well as the organizations they represent.
- Identify and steward community partnerships in support of the Skillful mission, recognizing synergies between organizations and strategically cultivating relationships that support Skillful Indiana.
- Maintain portfolio of current and alumni partner organizations, keeping contacts, history and agreement terms up-to-date and organized.
- Develop strategy for and execute management of Skillful-related community events, in collaboration with other organizations as appropriate.
Research and Analysis
- Conduct appropriate research and analysis to inform Skillful Indiana projects and stay informed of relevant trends.
- Oversee and ensure appropriate monitoring and evaluation of Skillful Indiana projects.
- Collaborative team leadership: Ability to work with people from different backgrounds, including senior business and government leadership.
- Complex problem solving: Excellent conceptual and analytical problem-solving skills, with experience in tackling a range of strategic and operational issues.
- Project management: Demonstrated track record of managing and delivering against complex scopes and under tight timelines; strong organizational skills, with ability to multitask and manage several work streams, partners and projects at once.
- Active learning: Positive attitude with an openness and willingness to learn; demonstrated ability to receive and apply feedback and continue to improve.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills: Emanates a collaborative demeanor to build rapport and establish credibility with team members and partners. Applies critical interpersonal and judgment skills to impact outcomes.
- Nimble and strategic in the face of change: Comfortable in a fluid, changing start-up that is responsive to its own successes and failures. Capacity to deal with ambiguity and drive towards concrete solutions.
- Understanding of workforce landscape: Experience in the career services sector, public sector space (e.g., workforce development), human resources, and/or education much appreciated.
- Passion for the Skillful mission and values: Displays an intellectual curiosity and passion for the missions at hand. Demonstrated ability to thrive and lead in a small, analytically rigorous organization that values direct, honest, and respectful transfer of ideas.
- Performance driven: Demonstrates the ability to articulate need and drive opportunity that results in overall behavior change.
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Possesses a natural instinct to seek out the next challenge. Operates with a clear sense of purpose, comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Indiana relationships: Existing network and connections to Indiana workforce environment and education organizations a significant plus.
- Spanish Language: Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Title: Manager of Career Coaching Initiatives, Skillful Indiana
- Reports to: Executive Director, Skillful Indiana
- Term: Full-time
- Salary & Benefits: Competitive
- Travel: Ability to travel within Indiana and willingness to travel out of state
- Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to Laurie Woodhouse at [email protected]
Markle and Skillful are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations and marital status.