The Markle Foundation is seeking a Manager, Strategic Projects & Rework America Alliance Implementation
About the Markle Foundation
The Markle Foundation challenges itself and diverse partners to deploy their varied expertise to identify solutions to critical public problems and achieve systemic change. Today, as millions are unemployed and advanced technology and automation change the very nature of work, Markle’s current priority is advancing solutions that will enable workers in America to move into good jobs in the digital economy.
About the Rework America Alliance
In response to the devastating impact of the pandemic, Markle launched the Rework America Alliance a nationwide collaboration of employers, non-profits, educators, government entities, and public and private organizations. The Alliance is working to open opportunities for millions of unemployed and low wage workers to move into good jobs, particularly people of color who have been disproportionately impacted by the current economic crisis. Partners include National Urban League, NAACP, Unidos US, the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Google, IBM, Microsoft, McKinsey & Company, North America’s Building Trades Unions, Workday and other leading businesses, labor unions, training, and workforce organizations. (The full list of members can be found on our website here).
The Rework America Alliance builds on Markle’s previous work in this field. In 2013, Markle launched its Rework America initiative to help workers have greater market power and a stronger voice in decisions that impact their lives. The Rework America Task Force was focused on how to create more good jobs and how to prepare people for them, publishing the Norton press book America’s Moment in 2015.
This work inspired the development of Markle’s Skillful initiative in 2016 in Colorado - which expanded to Indiana in 2018. Skillful has now transitioned into Markle’s Rework America Alliance. Skillful is contributing resources to the Alliance as it aims to help unemployed people across the country return to the workforce in better jobs with greater career potential.
About the Role
We are looking for a hard-working, dynamic team member who is passionate about making an impact on and serving the community. Given the entrepreneurial nature of Markle and the Rework America Alliance, all team members execute a diverse portfolio of projects and contribute to the learning culture through execution of pilots, supporting multiple initiatives and collaborating across teams and partner organizations.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
The Manager, Strategic projects and Rework America Alliance Implementation, will support the COO of Markle in developing and supporting execution of the Rework America Alliance program strategy. They will work in close collaboration with the respective workstream members to support implementation of key initiatives, surface and address any executional barriers and enhance integration across all elements of Alliance activity - both internal to Markle and with/across key Alliance partners. They will be a key support in driving strategic and long-term planning for our programs.
- Support the COO in coordinating project planning across the Alliance in close collaboration with different alliance workstreams leads and teams.
- Support the management and tracking of work plans in terms of timelines, milestones, interdependencies and other elements.
- Follow up diligently and support team members and partners to deliver high quality deliverables in a timely way.
- Flag critical issues for the COO Markle and all Alliance leads and facilitate problem solving and troubleshooting.
Research and Analysis
- Monitor key developments across workforce/future of work landscape to identify strategies, partners, tools, etc. that could shape overall Rework America Alliance strategy and execution approach.
- Prepare targeted research and analysis on priority, identified opportunity areas, working in conjunction with relevant team members across the organization.
- Support COO in maintaining relationships with key external partners/leaders, including participating in key meetings and ensuring follow up on action items identified.
- Support COO and senior Markle/Alliance leadership in overall strategic and operational planning. including collaboration in the annual planning and budget process.
- Provide analytic support to explore and resolve key strategic alternatives for the Alliance – in conjunction with Alliance key subject area leads.
- Provide quantitative analysis as it relates to impact or resources, e.g., impact of alternative delivery approaches - resources allocated across different efforts.
- Facilitate key meetings to solicit input and feedback, determine commonalities and reach consensus on path forward. Lead internal problem-solving sessions.
- Help establish regular meeting cadence with workstream leads and broader Alliance/Markle team as needed.
- Support COO Markle’s efforts to have capacity to look “around the bend” for opportunities and needs for Markle’s work.
- Support the COO Markle on relevant written products. Prepare drafts and execution documents for external use (for example, for partners and key meetings) and for internal use (by Markle leadership and for the Board of Directors).
- As is true of all Markle and the Alliance, all team members execute a diverse portfolio of projects across Skillful and Alliance and contribute to the learning culture through execution of pilots, supporting multiple initiatives and collaborating across teams and partner organizations.
- Degree and Credential Requirements: NONE! We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences will help them to contribute.
- Project management experience: Manage and deliver against defined project workplans with complex scopes and under tight timelines to meet defined objectives. Possess strong organization skills, with ability to multitask and manage several work streams, partners / vendors, and projects at any one time.
- Complex problem solving: Use conceptual and analytical problem-solving skills to tackle a range of strategic and operational issues. Able to bring a balance of creativity and practical business judgment to issues.
- Written communications: Write clearly and concisely for a variety of audiences and develop compelling, clear presentation materials.
- Analytics experience: Summarize detailed quantitative and qualitative data to identify trends, draw insights, formulate alternatives and make recommendations.
- Understanding of and commitment to continuous learning of how historical and systemic barriers are embedded in and deeply consequential to opportunity in the labor market, pertaining to such issues as race, gender, age, class, and disabilities.
- Active learner: Demonstrate a positive attitude with an openness and willingness to learn and the ability to receive and apply feedback to improve performance.
- Collaborative team leadership: Be comfortable working with people from different backgrounds, including senior business/community/ government leaders. Ability to mentor junior team members and peers, and drive results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: Act with a collaborative style to build rapport and establish credibility with partners. Apply critical interpersonal and judgment skills to affect outcomes. Have comfort and confidence in offering helpful advice and counsel to colleagues at all levels.
- Nimble and strategic in the face of change: Be comfortable in a fluid, changing organization that is responsive to its own successes and failures. Work effectively to deal with ambiguity and drive towards concrete solutions.
- Passion for the Alliance mission and value: Display an intellectual curiosity and passion for the mission at hand. Demonstrate ability to thrive and lead in a small, analytically rigorous organization that values direct, honest, and respectful transfer of ideas.
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Possesses the ability to seek out the next challenge and think outside constraints to get things done. Operate with a clear sense of purpose while being comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Knowledge of digital transformation and “big data” practices: Understand how digital tool and data analytics can be used to transform processes for great effectiveness and scale – and how these capabilities might create opportunities for the Alliance and its partners to apply.
- Consulting skills: Ability to analyze issues, engage in internal collaborative processes and apply design thinking tools to lead creative problem-solving efforts.
- Degree Requirements: NONE! We are a skills first organization and care more about your ability to do the job than how you trained for it.
- Location: New York City, Washington D.C., Colorado or Indiana
- Title: COO Markle
- Report To: Senior Manager, National Career Coaching Initiatives
- Term: Full-time (for a 12-month term)
- Salary & Benefits: $75,000 - $90,000 base salary (depending on location and skill level), with generous benefits such as healthcare, retirement, and time off including parental leave
- Travel: Ability to travel as needed and when permissible due to current ongoing pandemic. Post pandemic, travel requirements expected 20%.
- To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
Markle Foundation is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, domestic violence victim status, military status, or veteran's status.