The Markle Foundation Seeks a Product Administrator (Digital)
to Operate and Improve the Digital Solutions Suite for the Rework America Alliance
About the Markle Foundation
The Markle Foundation challenges itself and diverse partners to deploy their varied expertise to identify solutions to critical public problems and achieve systemic change. Today, as millions are unemployed and advanced technology and automation change the very nature of work, Markle’s current priority is advancing solutions toward a labor market that will enable workers in America to move into good jobs in the digital economy.
About the Rework America Alliance
In response to the devastating impact of the pandemic, Markle launched the Rework America Alliance a nationwide collaboration of employers, non-profits, educators, government entities, and public and private organizations. The Alliance is working to open opportunities for millions of unemployed and low wage workers to move into good jobs, particularly people of color who have been disproportionately impacted by the current economic crisis. Partners include National Urban League, NAACP, Unidos US, the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Google, IBM, Microsoft, McKinsey & Company, North America’s Building Trades Unions, Workday and other leading businesses, labor unions, training, and workforce organizations. (The full list of members can be found on our website here).
About Rework America Networks and Skillful
The Rework America Alliance builds on Markle’s previous work in this field. In 2013, Markle launched its Rework America initiative to help workers have greater market power and a stronger voice in decisions that impact their lives. The Rework America Task Force was focused on how to create more good jobs and how to prepare people for them, publishing the Norton press book America’s Moment in 2015.
This work inspired the development of Markle’s Skillful initiative in 2016 in Colorado - which expanded to Indiana in 2018. Skillful is part of Markle’s Rework America Alliance, working with employers, educators, non-profits, workforce leaders and others in Indiana to help people get good jobs based on the skills they have or the skills they can learn. Skillful is contributing resources to the Alliance as it aims to help unemployed people across the country return to the workforce in better jobs with greater career potential.
The Skillful State Network is a non-partisan collaboration of more than half of the nation’s state governors, working to accelerate the development and deployment of effective skills-based practices to transform their labor markets.
The Rework America Business Network was launched by Markle in 2018 with 11 founding large U.S. member companies which collectively employ approximately 2.2 million Americans. These companies work to expand opportunities for people of diverse backgrounds by recruiting and hiring with a focus on individuals’ skills.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
The Product Administrator will join a small team that enables development, delivery, and management of digital solutions for partners of the Rework America Alliance and Skillful Initiatives working to leverage technology to open opportunities for millions of unemployed and low wage workers to move into good jobs, particularly people of color who have been disproportionately impacted by the current economic crisis, and those who have built capabilities through experience but do not have a bachelor’s degree. The Product Administrator is an associate level teammate who will serve as an administrator of various existing platforms and products and serve as a liaison between the leadership of the Digital Solutions team, product users, and vendors (such as development/engineering). A core responsibility of this role will be the management of a Learning Management System (Totara) and the content it houses. Additionally, this position requires alignment with Markle’s mission of philanthropy and desire to leverage their skills to help those in need and embody a tech for good approach and mindset. This position is a mix of independent, task-based operational work along with close collaboration with a cross-functional teams to influence product innovation and solutions that serve the greater good.
Given the entrepreneurial nature of Markle and Skillful, all team members execute a diverse portfolio of projects and contribute to the learning culture through execution of pilots, supporting multiple initiatives and collaborating across teams and partner organizations.
This role may interact with Digital Solutions ranging from wireframes / prototypes / MVPs to E-Learning objects and platforms.
Some sample solutions in the suite include the Skillful Job Posting Generator and the Rework America Alliance / EMSI Skill My Resume solution.
Please see APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS at the bottom of this posting.
Required Foundational Skills
- Problem Solving: Leverage inspection, deconstruction, and iteration skills to understand an issue and propose a reasonable solution. Split large complex goals into smaller, simpler ones.
- Prioritization, Planning, and Coordination: Demonstrable ability to put tasks in the sequence that produces results quickly and efficiently, put together a plan and manage tasks to the plan.
- Client / Customer Service: Effectively partner with internal and external clients to understand their needs, user journey, and expectations and resolve issues.
- Organization, Monitoring, and Documentation: Able to keep track of multiple projects that require different levels of attention depending on where they are in their life cycle and quickly identify points of intervention with necessary follow-up. Document important metrics and interactions.
- Detail Orientation: Without getting lost in minutia, pay attention to the small, but potentially important, details that may have major impact down the road.
- Dependability and Accountability: In this role it is critical to do what you say you will do, in a timely manner, with sufficient responsiveness, follow-up and consistency.
- Understanding of the Impact of Systemic Racism in Communities of Color: Build awareness of the ways racism and racial inequity have affected labor markets and economic opportunity; demonstrate commitment to understanding and addressing these issues through the work we do.
Required Occupational / Technical Skills
- Technical Capabilities: Necessary to operate learning technologies and learning management systems, such as working with assets such as SCORM objects, audio files, video files, compression methods, and managing users and reports in the platform.
- Account and Software Administration: Ability and knowledge to provide ongoing LMS configuration and day to day management, understanding of how to provide ongoing maintenance of user and course data with LMS, ability to serve as system administrator for digital tools including but not limited to LMS, understanding of how to ensure the LMS is functional, up to date, and contains accurate information as well as ability to make adjustments accordingly, ability to train other users and admins as necessary, understanding of system roles and ability to assign permissions as needed, ability to set up new courses in the LMS, ability to work with other workstreams to ensure tools meet necessary requirements.
- Reporting on Digital Assets: Understanding of reporting and ability to provide on-demand reports for not only LMS but Markle tools at large.
- Software Testing: Report test results with a focus on findings and recommendations, differentiating results by levels of severity. Include relevant information from the test plan and outline the test methodologies, using metrics, tables, and visual methods to clarify where needed.
Preferred Foundational Skills
- Research: The ability to help to understand what clients and partners want, to identify and screen new ideas, understand consumer satisfaction with a product. May be desktop research or focus group discussions, interviews, and surveys.
- Concentration: An individual that can focus attention and ignore unrelated topics would be an asset to the team.
- Patience: The ability to remain calm, even when dealing with something tedious or with variety of opinions demonstrating flexibility, acceptance, and tolerance.
Preferred Occupational Skills
- Programming: SCORM and Moodle proficiency, HTML, grasp of the techniques and principles of software development, such as analysis, algorithms, coding, testing, and compiling of programming paradigms.
- Debugging: Ability to detect and catalogue existing and potential errors (‘bugs’) as identified in own testing or user reports. Use specialized tools to replicate and analyze the conditions that caused the set of software states or outputs reported by the customer in order to provide adequate solutions.Work with the software code to find and resolve bugs or defects.
- Product Development: Familiarity with review cycles and user testing, ability to take new information and understand how to apply it in a way that makes products more capable, familiarity with JIRA and other product support systems to track development and support issues.
- User Journeys: Comfort with user experience and how it plays into product development, being able to identify major points of engagement and value adds for user groups within products, ability to identify points of opportunity to better align products with core users.
Testing and Documentation (for in development and already operational solutions)
- Design test plans, scenarios, scripts, or procedures.
- Document software defects, using a bug tracking system, and report defects to software developers.
- Identify, analyze, and document problems with program function, output, online screen, or content.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance.
- Troubleshooting issues and identifying and recommending solutions and implementing solutions when applicableTroubleshoot issues, identify/recommend solutions and implement solutions where applicable.
Design, Development and Deployment
- Participate in product design reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Confer with systems analysts, engineers, programmers, and others to design systems and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
- Degree Requirements: NONE! We are a skills first organization and care more about your ability to do the job than how you trained for it.
- Location: Colorado preferred, with the ability to meet with the team in office near Union Station, Denver, a few times per week. Additional locations considered include Indiana (Indianapolis base), District of Columbia, and New York / New Jersey (Manhattan base)
- Title: Product Administrator (Associate Level)
- Report To: Senior Manager of Digital Solutions
- Term: Full-time
- Salary & Benefits: Approximately $60,000 annual compensation, with extremely generous healthcare, retirement, and other benefits.
- Travel: Limited, however the willingness to travel as needed and when permissible, is desired.
Please send your resume and responses to the following questions (in lieu of a cover letter) to [email protected]. You are welcome to respond in the form that best suits or represents you, but please keep responses brief (two pages, two minutes, etc.).
- What is your first step in developing a new audience in a learning management system? We are agnostic to the exact system used in your example.
- Describe your approach to balancing responsiveness to users with small-support team bandwidth? How do you manage “after hours” requests without a 24-hour support team?
- What are some ways you might leverage your technical capabilities (including operating learning technologies and learning management systems) to advance Markle’s work towards a labor market that will enable workers in America to move into good jobs in the digital economy?
Markle is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, domestic violence victim status, military status, or veteran's status. Markle applies this policy to every aspect of employment, including internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, compensation, and termination decisions. Markle also provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with known disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.