Senior Manager, Strategic Communications
The Markle Foundation is looking for a Senior Manager of Strategic Communications to join its highly collaborative strategic communications team in New York City. Markle has a track record of successfully tackling some of society’s most pressing issues. We were one of the first to rally thinkers and problem-solvers to address the transformation of the labor market by globalization and advancing technology. Markle is developing practical solutions to help the nearly 70% of Americans without a college degree secure good jobs in a rapidly changing economy. The Markle communications team is advancing this work by shifting perceptions of skilled work in America and moving employers, policymakers, educators and workforce support organizations to take steps to expand pathways to success in the 21st century.
We are looking for a smart, creative thinker with demonstrated skills in strategic communications planning, project management and media relations to join our team. Candidate should enjoy writing and have demonstrated excellence in developing a variety of materials, from talking points to contributed articles. At Markle, we value team work, can-do problem-solving, a commitment to excellence as well as experimentation, and those who bring a spirit of fun to their work. We are taking fresh approaches to reach diverse audiences. If you would like the opportunity to capture big ideas in accessible and persuasive language, work with national leaders in the public and private sectors, as well as academia and the media, and lead the development and execution of integrated communications campaigns, please submit your resume to Amy Segelin at
Markle is an entrepreneurial organization with a geographically dispersed team. Markle’s New York team is looking for a Senior Manager of Strategic Communications. The Senior Manager will have the opportunity to lead the development and execution of integrated communications campaigns, from planning through to execution and measurement, including content development, media relations, social media and digital marketing. Candidates should have strong strategic planning, project and people management and leadership skills.
The successful candidate will report to the Senior Director of Strategic Communications, and work closely with the entire Markle Communications team and its internal and external partners. The candidate should expect to join a collegial organization that places a high premium on intellectual curiosity and collaboration.
- Work collaboratively across Markle teams to understand the work of the Foundation and to develop ideas for effectively communicating information to the media and public.
- Foster strong relationships with senior leadership and the Markle team members leading workforce development initiatives.
- Manage one or more people, coaching and fostering their professional development as well as ensuring their time is well spent and work product quality is excellent.
- Lead the development of creative communications plans, whether for ad hoc announcements or comprehensive, year-long integrated campaigns.
- Apply a marketing mindset to Markle’s workforce development initiatives to help program managers think through audiences, messaging and methods for engaging constituencies to advance our work.
- Identify marketing communications needs, defining needed materials, and leading content development.
- Draft and/or edit content including talking points, speeches, blog posts, contributed articles, and briefing documents to prepare executives for speaking engagements and media interviews.
- Handle incoming media inquiries and facilitate interviews, statements, and briefings as necessary.
- Draft and/or edit content for a range of general communications collateral including correspondence (on behalf of senior leadership), bios, press advisories and releases, primers, FAQs, member updates/e-newsletters.
- Research and analyze key insights and statistics from new reports and media coverage to inform communications efforts, and/or oversee the research and analytical work of others.
- Conduct media outreach to amplify communications activities, including speaking engagements and announcements. Cultivate relationships with key media and influencers.
- Facilitate our work with partners from the public, private and non-profit sectors, educators and policymakers.
- Collaborate well with our communications and digital marketing agencies.
Skills & Experience:
- Ability to think strategically and apply marketing sense to identify business objectives, audiences and to develop corresponding communications objectives, strategies and messaging.
- Creativity and inventiveness in developing and executing communications campaigns.
- Strong writing, editing and proof-reading skills.
- Ability to think through a project, define a process and timeline and lead it to completion.
- Ability to research, apply judgment and formulate a point of view or recommendation whether on a communications approach or a vendor selection.
- Ability to research media coverage, skim, analyze and apply judgment in developing media targets and pitch angles.
- Ability to lead teams and effectively coach and foster the professional growth of junior colleagues.
- Detail-oriented, forward-thinking, and able to see the big picture.
- Good time management skills and an ability to juggle multiple and often changing priorities.
- Ability to communicate professionally with colleagues and Markle partners.
- Prior work experience with an organization’s leadership team or executives, or related transferable skills.
- A passion for our mission
- Integrity and empathy in team leadership and people management
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability in project leadership
- An appreciation for team work and an ability to collaborate
- A can-do attitude and ability to problem solve
- A willingness to learn as well as coach, and give and receive constructive feedback
- Title: Senior Manager, Strategic Communications
- Location: Markle Foundation, 10 Rockefeller Plaza, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10020
- Reports To: Claudia Husemann, Senior Director, Strategic Communications
- Term: Full-time
- Degree or Credential Requirements: None! We value candidates who can demonstrate skills and articulate how prior experiences will help them to meet the job requirements.
- Applying: Please submit your resume or CV to Amy Segelin: [email protected]
Markle is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations and marital status.
About the Markle Foundation:
The Markle Foundation works to realize the potential of technology to achieve breakthroughs in addressing some of the nation’s most pressing issues. Markle challenges itself and diverse partners to deploy their varied expertise to identify solutions and achieve systemic change. Today as advanced technology and automation change the very nature of work, Markle’s priority is advancing solutions towards a skills-based labor market that will enable Americans to transition to the opportunities of the digital economy. Markle’s workforce initiatives
include Skillful and the Rework America Task Force. They follow Markle’s success in creating the policy and technology architecture that has enabled improvements in healthcare, national security, and access to the Internet.
Skillful, Skillful Colorado, Skillful Indiana and the
Skillful State Network
Skillful, a non-profit initiative of the Markle Foundation, is dedicated to enabling all Americans – particularly those without a four-year college degree – to secure good jobs in a changing economy. In partnership with Microsoft and others, Skillful is developing skills-based training and employment practices in collaboration with state governments, local employers, educators and workforce development organizations. Skillful and its partners are working to create a labor market in which skills are valued, and people can more easily access the information and education they need to keep pace with technology’s impact on work. Skillful currently operates in two states, Skillful Colorado and Skillful Indiana, bringing investment, training, tools and innovative methods to augment local workforce development efforts. It formed and facilitates the Skillful State Network, a collaboration among 20 state governors to accelerate the development and deployment of effective skills-based practices to transform their labor markets. Skillful is grateful for support provided by Walmart, and its partnerships with the states of Colorado and Indiana, Microsoft, Lumina, Purdue University and Purdue Extensions.
Rework America Task Force
The Rework America Task Force seeks to transform America’s outdated labor market so that all Americans – especially the nearly 70% without a college degree – have opportunities to thrive in the digital economy. This coalition of diverse leaders from technology, business, labor, education and the public sector is committed to developing bold, practical, non-partisan solutions to building a skills-based labor market that works for all Americans and supports the competitiveness of the American economy. The Task Force will define and advance policies and practices among employers, educators, policymakers, technologists and workers themselves so that all are better equipped to anticipate, adapt to and harness for good the rapid pace of technological change transforming our economy. By establishing clear, accessible paths to quality jobs and lifelong training in the digital economy, the Task Force is working to enable the dignity of work for all Americans.