A defining challenge of our time is ensuring that all Americans are included in the benefits of the digital economy as automation and technology transform the workforce in unprecedented fashion. After more than a decade of work in health and national security, the Markle Foundation created Skillful, an initiative with LinkedIn, the state of Colorado, and others to create a skills-based labor market. Launched in 2016, Skillful is centered on the skills job seekers have, not the degrees. Skillful is enabling Americans, including the nearly seven out of ten American adults who do not have a college degree, to learn the skills needed for today’s rapidly changing jobs. To learn more see www.Skillful.com
Skillful is a project of the Markle Foundation, whose mission is to identify intractable problems, invest seed capital to incubate and test solutions, harness the power of technology and innovation, and build strategic partnerships to achieve scale and to generate broad social impact. While Markle’s work has evolved through the years, its mission to meet the needs of the American people has endured. Currently, Markle is engaged in a nationwide initiative aimed at driving innovations that expand opportunities for employment and broaden ways for all Americans to learn and train for the work of the future.
We are looking for a hard-working, rigorous, dynamic team member who is passionate about serving the community and making an impact. Given the entrepreneurial nature of Skillful, all team members execute a diverse portfolio of projects and contribute to the learning culture through execution of pilots, supporting multiple initiatives and collaborating across teams and partner organizations.
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Associate will conduct research underpinning Markle and Skillful’s theory of change and will help produce and execute our initiatives and programs. Additionally, the Associate will project manage initiatives as appropriate. As is true of all Markle and Skillful team members, applicants to this position should feel comfortable wearing many hats and bearing responsibility to carry out a variety of projects across the organization.
Research and Analysis
- Project Management
- Support the management and tracking of programs in terms of time sensitive milestones, interdependencies and other elements.
- Support the overall work plan across partners and accountable for quality and timeliness of deliverables.
Communications and Writing
- Conduct research on topics of relevance and interest to Markle and Skillful, which include but are not limited to workforce issues; federal and state educational, training, and employment policies; program development; and innovation in the educational landscape, alternative training programs, etc.
- Stay abreast of developments in workforce, education, and relevant areas of research.
- May conduct research on funders and funding priorities
- Create and help refine documents and presentations to share with team members and external stakeholders
- Offer and share a perspective for Markle and Skillful based on research
- Gather data on Skillful interventions
- Write, edit and proofread items for external publication and internal circulation.
- Assist with drafts and execution of documents for external use (for example, for partners and news outlets) and for internal use (by Markle leadership and for the Board of Directors).
- Assist with document management processes across partners, geographies, and industries to ensure quality control of communications and historical archiving, e.g., of tools and organizations we are considering.
- Prioritize and triage how to respond to outreach from potential partners or interested partners, including fielding first order questions.
- Assist with the execution of documents required for communications about Markle and Skillful.
- Research: High degree of comfort with qualitative and quantitative research
- Basic project management experience: Demonstrated track record of managing and delivering against complex scopes and under tight timelines. Possesses very strong organization skills, with ability to multitask and manage several work streams, partners / vendors, and projects at any one time
- Complex problem solving: Possesses excellent conceptual and analytical problem solving skills, with experience in tackling a range of strategic and operational issues. Able to bring a balance of creativity and practical judgment to issues.
- Writing: Demonstrated ability to write clearly, concisely and compellingly for a variety of audiences.
- Active learner: Positive attitude with an openness and willingness to learn. Demonstrates ability to receive and apply feedback and continues to improve.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: Emanates a collaborative demeanor to build rapport and establish credibility with partners. Applies critical interpersonal and judgment skills to affect outcomes. Has complete comfort and confidence in offering helpful advice and counsel to colleagues at all levels.
- Communication skills: Demonstrated ability to clearly convey research and data from multiple sources as a set of findings.
- Experience with workforce space: 2+ years working on issues related to workforce, education, training and employment or related areas.
- Passion for the Markle and Skillful mission and value: Displays an intellectual curiosity and passion for the mission at hand. Demonstrated ability to thrive and lead in a small, analytically rigorous organization that values direct, honest, and respectful transfer of ideas.
- Entrepreneurial mindset: Possesses a natural instinct to seek out the next challenge, think outside constraints, and get things done. Operates with a clear sense of purpose while being comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- Analytics experience: Ability to summarize detailed data, identify trends, and draw insights from the data. Able to make recommendations based on conclusions.
- Location: New York, NY
- Title: Associate
- Report: Director
- Term: Full-time
- Salary: Competitive
- Fill Out the Form Below