About Markle Foundation:
Markle is a private foundation with a long commitment to deploying the power of communications and information technologies for public benefit. Markle achieves its objectives by directly operating projects in its areas of inquiry and does not make grants in response to unsolicited proposals. Markle has a demonstrated history of impact in its past work. More information is available at www.markle.org.
Rework America Task Force: A Markle Initiative
The Rework America Task Force (RATF) seeks to transform our labor market from one solely focused on traditional credentials like degrees and work history, to one rooted in the skills needed for the jobs of the 21st century. We will harness the same forces disrupting our economy, from Big Data to Artificial Intelligence, to connect all Americans - especially the almost seven in ten Americans without a college degree - to new opportunities and training for in-demand jobs. We will advance a modern labor market that aligns the skills of our workforce to the needs of our employers, keeping American businesses competitive and giving American workers clear pathways to quality jobs over the course of their lives.
The RATF team is small, action-oriented and fast-paced. We are passionate about our mission, keen to learn, and enjoy what we do. We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results-oriented, and have strong project management skills. Given the entrepreneurial nature of RATF, all team members execute a diverse portfolio of projects and contribute to the learning culture through supporting multiple initiatives and collaborating across teams and partner organizations.
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Manager is responsible for research and analysis, project management, communications and documentation for the Task Force.
Research and Analysis
- Prepares research and analysis of insights from surveys and other research on subjects relevant to Task Force members’ work.
- Helps define and measure metrics for success.
- Perform research and due diligence of potential partnerships.
- Provide quantitative analysis as it relates to impact or resources (e.g., impact of pilots and Task Force efforts, or analysis of relevant research to inform program design).
- Manages and tracks the integrated work plan in terms of timeliness milestones, interdependencies and other elements.
- Manage overall work plan across partners and accountable for quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Maintain alignment of Task Force mission. Flags critical issues for problem solving or troubleshooting.
- Sets the agenda and develops logistics for regular check-ins and in-person meetings.
Communications and Documentation
- Creates initial drafts and execution documents for external use (for example, for partners and news outlets) and for internal use (by Markle leadership and for the Board of Directors).
- Responsible for document management processes across partners to ensure quality control of communications and historical archiving (e.g., of Task Force meetings, partnerships and outputs).
- Works with our team to ensure coordinated outreach with Task Force members and current and potential partners (e.g., to ensure that partners are not getting contacted by multiple people).
- Prepares documents required for communications about the Task Force.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as requested or as assigned.
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders;
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles, balancing creativity and practical business judgment;
- A demonstrated record of success in developing and seeking out the next challenge and thinking outside constraints to get things done, operating with a clear sense of purpose while being comfortable with ambiguity and change;
- A proven ability to develop and maintain relationships at all levels, from direct reports to colleagues to high-level partners, and to apply critical interpersonal and judgment skills to affect outcomes;
- Experience managing multiple projects and ability to oversee a cadre of staff, consultants, and volunteers.
- Knowledge of workforce and/or education policy issues are both plusses but are not requirements.
- Status: Full-Time
- Location: New York, NY or Washington, D.C.
- Title: Manager
- Report: Director
- Salary: Competitive
- Travel: Moderate
- Degree or Credential Requirements: None.
- Markle is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations and marital status.
The Rework America Task Force and Skillful are projects of the Markle Foundation (www.markle.org), whose mission is to identify intractable problems, invest seed capital to incubate and test solutions, harness the power of technology and innovation, and build strategic partnerships to achieve scale and generate broad social impact. While Markle’s work has evolved through the years, its mission to meet the needs of the American people has endured. Currently, Markle is engaged in a nationwide initiative aimed at driving innovations that expand opportunities for employment and broaden ways for all Americans to learn and train for the work of the future.