U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker Announces Appointees to Inaugural Digital Economy Board of Advisors
U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker announced today the appointment of 17 distinguished leaders with a wide range of expertise on digital policy and economic issues to serve on the U.S. Commerce Department’s Digital Economy Board of Advisors, which will provide recommendations on ways to advance economic growth and opportunity in the digital age.
Last November, Secretary Pritzker committed to creating a Board of Advisors as a mechanism for ensuring private sector input and support for the Department’s new Digital Economy Agenda, which is focused on promoting innovation, a free and open Internet, trust online, and Internet access for all Americans. Zoë Baird, CEO and President of the Markle Foundation, and Mitchell Baker, Executive Chairwoman of Mozilla, will serve as co-chairs of the new digital economy board. The appointees, who will serve two-year terms, were chosen from a large pool of highly-qualified applicants from industry, civil society and academia to provide expertise from a variety of viewpoints.
The other appointees to the board are:
- Karen Bartleson, President-elect of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Greg Becker, President and CEO of Silicon Valley Bank and SVB Financial Group
- James Cicconi, Senior Executive Vice President of External and Legislative Affairs at AT&T
- David L. Cohen, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer of Comcast Corporation
- Austan Goolsbee, Robert P. Gwinn Professor of Economics at the University of Chicago, Booth School of Business
- Mindy Grossman, CEO and Director of HSN, Inc.
- Oisin Hanrahan, Co-Founder and CEO of Handy
- Sonia Katyal, Chancellor’s Professor of Law at the University of California at Berkeley School of Law
- James Manyika, Director of the McKinsey Global Institute
- William Ruh, CEO of GE Digital and Chief Digital Officer for GE
- Brad Smith, President and Chief Legal Officer at Microsoft Corporation
- Corey Thomas, President and CEO of Rapid7
- Marta Tellado, President and CEO of Consumer Reports
- Susan Wojcicki, CEO of YouTube
- John Zimmer, Co-founder and President of Lyft