To achieve the desired impact and value from health IT investments, funding efforts should incorporate both information policy and technology attributes that foster trust and enable sharing of vital health information and expectations for measurable health and delivery system improvements.
Strategic health IT investments can improve health care, spur innovation and promote long-term economic growth by:
- Expanding employment in areas of health care that can produce quality and productivity improvements.
- Stimulating innovation in care delivery models.
- Achieving cost-effectiveness in delivery of care.
- Improving health outcomes.
- Enhancing consumer trust in use of information and greater consumer participation in health and health care.